• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
NES_02.gif

Four fat kids fall down a hole, somehow become the heroes of the world. That's... basically the entire story of Final Fantasy III. But that sells it all so short.

----

I recently played through the Pixel Remaster versions of the first three Final Fantasy games, which includes the first 2D version of Final Fantasy III released outside of Japan.

The first two are classics in their own right, but they're both clearly limited by their engine and scope. The first in particular feels really almost comically small in comparison to the games that come right after it and is as much a proof of concept for a series as it is a standalone game. Final Fantasy II plays with heavy alterations to stat progression and magic, as well as an increased focus on story, but the actual scope and ambition of the game still feels constrained by what the first did. There is a relatively clear delineation between towns, dungeons, and overworld, and despite a focus on story the actual storytelling is pretty light, relying mostly on environmental storytelling and the occasional exposition dump--real scenes are very very minor affairs. Interactivity in towns and dungeons is basically unheard of.

1902935.png

FFIII looks and plays a lot like its two predecessors but there is so much more going on from the word go. The environments are interactive, with switches for the characters to hit and healing fountains to drink out of. Hidden items to be found around towns. Pianos to play. NPCs that do more than wander around aimlessly. And despite the pull back on story focus from II, this actually doesn't really mean much in practice, as the actual amount of scenes is greater and they are generally much more animated and interesting to watch. Scenario design is also much more varied, a couple times you are required to shrink yourselves to enter a dungeons, at one point your airship is shot down and you're trapped in a kingdom fighting amongst itself, another time you get captured. FFII played with this more than the first, but FFIII turns this up a considerable notch. There is just so much more to physically do in this game.

1087531.jpg

And so many Final Fantasy staples got their start here. The true job swapping system originates here. Unique battle commands outside of magic originate here (like Thieves being able to steal, and Dragoons' ability to jump). Moogles first appear here, as does the Fat Chocobo. Summon magic proper appears for the first time with most of the stock standard summons--Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc. It's hard to overstate how influential it is on the future of the series.

2638345-474993-final-fantasy-iii-nes-screenshot-on-the-world-maps.png

The big word that comes to mind when discussing Final Fantasy III in comparison to its predecessors is ambition. Not content with just a canoe, ship, and airship, Final Fantasy III has the party getting three different airships throughout the game, each with their own abilities, two of which the party has access to at the same time at the end of the game. And rather than just one overworld, FFIII reveals that the initial overworld you begin the game on is actually a small floating island hovering above yet another fully featured overworld. And that's not even getting into the ability to have one of your airships go underwater revealing another area to explore with its own (albeit limited) secrets. On top of all that there are actual optional hidden dungeons scattered around the overworlds with their own tricks and challenges to overcome--every dungeon in the first two is required to beat their respective game, but FFIII has not just a couple but several optional areas you never have to explore. The sheer scale of the world is far larger and grander than the first two titles dreamed of.

I think it was actually a great shame the game was not released outside of Japan in its original time frame, as it is little wonder it holds such an important place in the fandom's hearts in its home country. I kind of wonder what its reception in the West would be had it released on the NES like originally intended.

----

ffiiipr1.jpg

As an aside for those of you who have only played the 3D remake that first released on the Nintendo DS (which up until the Pixel Remaster was the only version ever released outside of Japan), I highly recommend playing the Pixel Remaster version. There were a lot of game design concessions that the 3D remake had to make to fit it in the DS hardware that make for a lesser experience, turning what was originally a quick and snappy RPG into a slow slog. The Pixel Remaster also drops the CP requirements for job switching from the NES version as well as the Job adjustment period from the 3D Remake making job swapping clean and simple.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, pretty much very similar to how Dragon Quest III set the standard for everything afterwards on the series.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I've only ever played the 3D remake on PSP, but it was a great game and the story, the systems and everything felt like a massive step up compared to the first 2 but its hard not to be due to their limitations.

I want to try the pixel remasters, but I'll keep waiting.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've started the game at least a dozen times over the years, but I've never beaten it. Most playthroughs, I never never make it off the floating continent. The furthest I've gotten is Goldar's mansion. That's where I'm at now in the Remaster and I haven't played it in about two months. The lack of story really makes it hard for me to stay interested in the game. Same with Final Fantasy I. I prefer Final Fantasy II to I or III simply because it has a story and real characters.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love this game. I know people hate the last dungeon a d the story is so so but the scenarios are really fun and the job system is simple but fun to poke at.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
FFII and III obviously get the short end of the stick in the west because, well... they weren't originally released. I think both deserve a lot more credit that IV tends to get because it was a massive leap over I and we didn't get the in-between games.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with III is the absolute slog the final dungeon is.

everything up until that point is great and is why I'll eventually play it on a pixel remaster (eventually). But the final dungeon is why it isn't a priority.

i just can't it's such a long dungeon without a save point

OP
OP
GreenMamba

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

everything up until that point is great and is why I'll eventually play it on a pixel remaster (eventually). But the final dungeon is why it isn't a priority.

Yeah I should not have left the last dungeon marathon out, it's a genuine low point, there's no reason for it to be that long. But good news for the Pixel Remaster, this is a solved issue in that version due to Quick Save and Autosave.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I should not have left the last dungeon marathon out, it's a genuine low point, there's no reason for it to be that long. But good news for the Pixel Remaster, this is a solved issue in that version due to Quick Save and Autosave.
I'd argue a long dungeon is the perfect final test to resource management the game has been encouraging from the start.

I love FFIII's final gauntlet though. It's something that really stands out in the game, no other FF has dungeon crawling that good.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Its probably my favorite of the pre-6 games. Maybe 5 will be better but I love how puzzley the job system feels like and the large amount of optional content and lack of handholding in the later part of the game.

Cloud of Darkness is such a good boss. Not in and of itself but as a capstone to the final gauntlet, it's great in its simplicity. Big fucking damage every turn, lots of HP. Better hope you didn't miss the super jobs.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I played it for the first time with the pixel remaster and I didn't enjoy it very much.

But I would probably say the same for 1 and 2 these days. The gameplay is just bare bones, story nonexistent, and the job system wasn't very engaging.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DS remake was soooo good.

haha both the final dungeon in III and IV were nightmares

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
On top of all that there are actual optional hidden dungeons scattered around the overworlds with their own tricks and challenges to overcome--every dungeon in the first two is required to beat their respective game, but FFIII has not just a couple but several optional areas you never have to explore.

Technically the Castle of Ordeals (and class change) is optional in FF1, though skipping it of course makes the rest of the game much harder.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I adore this game.

And I love the No Fucks Given approach of the final dungeon marathon. They're great dungeons and utterly relentless in what they demand of you, the player, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just nonsense after nonsense after nonsense after more nonsense and after powergrinding Dragoon to survive Garuda and going through the Cave of Darkness, I feel like the game prepares us for it quite well.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Moogles, jobs, chocobos… it was def the best 8 bit FF, but I have more nostalgia for the 1st

FF III starts around 6:30 (some spoilers)

youtu.be

Final Fantasy Retrospective - Part II

Final Fantasy II and III for the Famicom.GameTrailers Retrospective - Final Fantasy Part 2Original Air-Date: 23rd July 2007GT

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it was and I wish it had been a launch SNES game that was also released in the West.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how creative they were with the "fantasy" aspect. Even just the "Onion Knight" design is fascinating. Why onion??

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the game expands a lot especially over FF I. Though I think FF I still has some cool scenarios in it as well, but it's definitely like half the size of FF III (at least according to my recent playthroughs).

It's a pretty cool game and it would have been nice to have had it localized back on the NES.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
FF3 is by far the most influential game in the series for FF14. Yoshi-P is a huge FF3 fanboy, and the FF14 team also made FF11 which was made as a spritual successor to FF3.

That's why you've got the summons from ARR being the same ones as FF3, why you have the nameless, voiceless warrior of light going on a journey to collect the crystals of light, the Crystal tower being a key story point, the job system. It all comes from the team's love for FF3 (and the previous director of FF11 and FF14 being the director of FF3).

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
And so many Final Fantasy staples got their start here. The true job swapping system originates here. Unique battle commands outside of magic originate here (like Thieves being able to steal, and Dragoons' ability to jump). Moogles first appear here, as does the Fat Chocobo. Summon magic proper appears for the first time with most of the stock standard summons--Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc. It's hard to overstate how influential it is on the future of the series.

(Bolded for emphasis)

The dirty secret of Final Fantasy IV is that they basically did a kitbash of III on new hardware and made it super linear/streamlined and story focused. Which was probably a safe decision since IV's big innovation was ATB and they probably didn't want to risk doing too much else new at the time. V would make up for that with its overhaul of the job system while story-wise hearkening back to III.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome, I love FFIII so much. It was the first FF game I ever owned and fully played. I got it as a kid when the DS remake came out. I knew it was the first to introduce the job switching system but I never realized how many series staples this game standardized.

Also, I later revisited the game as an adult and had no idea how my 13 year old self managed to beat the Crystal Tower and Cloud of Darkness. The end game is absolutely brutal in this game.

I know everyone likes to hate on the DS remakes of III and IV, but those were my real first full Final Fantasy experiences and I love both of those games, IV in particular remains my favorite series entry to this day. Although VII and its remake are very close to making the top of my list as well.