Luna lionfish (Pterois lunulata

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been searching for this fish but 0 luck finding, anyone know a seller or another name this fish goes by? Looked for the second name "dragons beard fish" but still only find photos.

large.jpeg Pterois_lunulata.jpg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aka Russells Lionfish, you can find them on liveaquaria. Just like the mombasa, they come from 2 completely different regions, and may or may not be the same species, but russells is another name for the lunulata. You won't find the one from the Japanese waters.

Those are 2 different lions in your pic, the bottom one looks like iy may be an antennata.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to expand; I have never seen this lion offered outside of the common name russell's lion. Most say they are not the species, there is the pterois lunulata and there's the pterois russelli. They are very, very similar and are both clearfin lions. Unless you are a collector I don't see a difference in choosing a russell's lion. If you were to find a true pterois lunulata expect to pay an exorbitant price.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry saw a better pic, those are both clearfin lions. Funny thing if you scan though enough photos, you'll see the same photos listed as pterois lunulata and pterois russelli.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back