Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncozen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Well, I've been compulsively checking these forums for months and decided to share my rendering of the iSlate, a real laptop replacement tablet running OSX. Put it on your dream board
iSlateRender_600px.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bet you $1000 the Apple tablet is not wide screen as depicted in your post.

johncozen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
@sassenach74 for fun:D @jessica that wouldn't be a very smart bet for me to take :rolleyes:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Why do you people want an OS that wasn't designed with touch in mind from the start?

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Not to knock your rendering, but all you did was put a 3D black border around an OS X desktop.

2nd, think if that were real...could you imagine navigating those photoshop pallets and drop downs with your finger? Nightmare.

johncozen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
yeah no kidding, did it for fun in 10 min in cinema 4D and PS. Still think its what it'd look like. Apple has a patent for tech that tracks your finger while it's hovering over the screen which i imagine would bring unprecedented control to this flavor of UI and accommodate the mouseover ability currently missing from the iPhone OS.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
The whole idea of a mouse pointer or curser is to give the user a physical representation of what they are selecting, a disembodied finger if you will. If you are using your actual finger, like what you are doing with the iPhone OS, then the whole need of a "pointer" on the screen becomes redundant and clumsy.

Desktop OS X, just like Windows, does not work on a touchscreen device once the novelty wears off.

I'm much more excited to see what developers are going to do with multitouch and accelerometer based controls. Much better suited for a device like this and much more innovative.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I just tried your device and it sucks. The hard drive is too noisy, it throws off too much heat, and the radio seems to get mass inteference.

Also the usb ports are not powered and the UI is absurd and multi touch barely works.

Take that piece of garbage back to the garage and fix it!

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Although you didn't provide any scale, it looks way too big to me

Well I suppose that depends entirely upon what the OP is aiming for. If this was about 40" diagonal and mounted on your desk at about 30 degrees then I could see it being a viable concept. If it's meant to be portable (therefore small) forget it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To big and ungainly large to be easily carried and as others have stated unless apple reworks the UI in osx it won't be a great experience interacting with it

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I can just see trying to use that little toolbox on the right. Dammit I clicked the wrong one.
Dammit, wrong button
No! I meant the other layer!
aaaag
Wheres my stylus, bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse?

Very cool render though! I just don't think OSX desktop edition brings anything of value to the tablet form.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Full OS X is harder to use on a tablet than on a laptop or desktop. The OS X we use currently on our Mac's will never show up on an Apple tablet until it's heavily modified for Multitouch use. Oh wait, it is, it's called the iPhone OS! I would have though this was made clear by Apple redesigning iWork. What part of this don't you "i want full osx people get?". Just as every other cloned tablet with Win 7 on it, FULL OS of any kind not specifically designed for a tablet has not worked in the past, otherwise they would be mainstream already. They fail on a tablet because the OS and none of the software is optimized for this type of use.

Concepts always look cool, but in reality is doesn't work. Flying car anyone?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Not to knock your rendering, but all you did was put a 3D black border around an OS X desktop.

I agree, what kind of modeling is that? Just a rectangle box with fillet corners and just a photoshop'ed screen shot of PS.

U need to add more fine details on it.

johncozen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
yeah i was thinking about refining and showing some kind of docking station like an iMac's base but i should really be working on learning obj-C ;)

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Well, I've been compulsively checking these forums for months and decided to share my rendering of the iSlate, a real laptop replacement tablet running OSX. Put it on your dream board
iSlateRender_600px.jpg

I thought that this was a nice design concept! Keep it up!

:)

-I do design concepts myself, so if you ever would like to get in touch and share idea's, that'd be sweet!

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Your concept would certainly sell more units that the oversized iPod Touch that was just introduced. The iPad just doesn't seem to be good at anything. Oh yes, that what Jobs said about netbooks.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
It's massive. Are you sure you'd be able to lift it? You might end up knocking someone out with it. :D:D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Your concept would certainly sell more units that the oversized iPod Touch that was just introduced. The iPad just doesn't seem to be good at anything. Oh yes, that what Jobs said about netbooks.

And this why your company has not promoted you to head of marketing.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Why do you people want an OS that wasn't designed with touch in mind from the start?

I agree! The iphone os is a multi-touch, mobile version of OS X. It will in time be the OS X in macbook pro. In the past, laptops were not desktop replacement. Ipad will eventually replace laptops, but it will take a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.