Urdu: Meaning of ؀

Gop

Tamil
Friends,
I am curious to know the meaning of the sign
1608249259111.jpeg
that sometimes appears in Urdu Ghazals. Is there some reference material where such things are listed? Like this one: ؀ ? Thanks.

• Urdu: ء after years

Urdu: san hijri

The first sign could be an abbreviation for سنۃ sanah (year) and the second one عیسٰوی if I am not mistaken. I think our marrish SaaHib mentioned these abbreviations in another thread but I can't seem to find it. Our Alfaaz SaaHib is the ultimate authority on finding past threads. Perhaps both of them could offer their assistance.

There is a system of reckoning in Urdu called raqam, now almost forgotten, where numerals are given a kind of shorthand symbols. This system was used in business transactions. Your first symbols looks as if it could be 60.

Last edited:
    Urdu: ء after years

Urdu: san hijri

The first sign could be an abbreviation for سنۃ sanah (year) and the second one عیسٰوی if I am not mistaken. I think our marrish SaaHib mentioned these abbreviations in another thread but I can't seem to find it. Our Alfaaz SaaHib is the ultimate authority on finding past threads. Perhaps both of them could offer their assistance.

There is a system of reckoning in Urdu called raqam, now almost forgotten, where numerals are given a kind of shorthand symbols. This system was used in business transactions. Your first symbols looks as if it could be 60.
    Here’s a screenshot with the first symbol in my post in context:
    965ECFC2-C9FE-4B6F-9501-E6554AF4C47F.jpeg

Trust this helps.

Well, I think we should wait for any responses from marrish and Alfaaz SaaHibaan. All I would add is that the symbol repreaents that a shi3r follows this symbol and it is a quote. What page are these two symbols on?

Last edited:
    Well, I think we should wait for any responses from marrish and Alfaaz SaaHibaan. All I would add is that the symbol repreaents that a shi3r follows this symbol and it is a quote. What page are these two symbols on?
    The first symbol, figuring above the shi3r, is on p.335 of ChiraaGhoN kaa dhuaaN by Intezar Hussain. The second symbol is in my urdu keyboard but I do not remember the context in which I saw it.
    Isn’t there some symbol that is placed over proper names/pseudonyms?
    The symbol, shortened form of ع that is placed after the year in Christian era, also figures after the name of the writer * ابنِ انشا. But my keyboard does not contain that symbol (shortened ع). Can I then write ابنِ انشاع?

Last edited:
    Yes, this symbol is being used before everytime a couplet is being quoted.

No انشاء which in reallity is ان شاء (agar us ne chaahaa).... as in ان شاء اللہ ( agar Allah ne chaahaa). In Urdu this is written as joined انشاء. Writing it as انشاع would be wrong.

Yes, this symbol is being used before everytime a couplet is being quoted.

No انشاء which in reallity is ان شاء (agar us ne chaahaa).... as in ان شاء اللہ ( agar Allah ne chaahaa). In Urdu this is written as joined انشاء. Writing it as انشاع would be wrong.
    Thanks, Qureshpor SaaHib, for explaining ان شاء اللہ. The ء does figure in my keyboard.

؀ ؀ ؀ ؀
    ARABIC NUMBER SIGN

؂ ؂ ؂ ؂
    ARABIC FOOTNOTE MARKER

؁ ؁ ؁
    ARABIC SIGN SANAH

ء ء ء

ARABIC LETTER HAMZA

؃ ؃ ؃
    ARABIC SIGN SAFHA

؎ ؎ ؎ ؎ ؎
    ARABIC POETIC VERSE SIGN

؏ ؏ ؏ ؏
    ARABIC SIGN MISRA

ؔ ؔ ؔ
    ARABIC SIGN TAKHALLUS

Thanks for this comprehensive list of signs, marrish SaaHib. :) Footnote marker and poetic verse sign seem to be identical.

Back