toothy mesembs

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

toothy mesembs

Post by Mike »

Hi (Ian)

Saw these at HBG today. First looks much like another one I saw as Carranthus ringens, but didn't have a tag. Seems the same, but I have learned about taht before.

Second has long thin leaves, small white dots. Maybe Orthopterum coegana??

thanks Mike
iann

Post by iann »

The first one certainly looks like Carruanthus ringens.

I don't think the second is Orthopterum, but some unusual form of Faucaria.
--ian
Mike

Post by Mike »

here is close up of the mystery one, odd shaped leaf, tapers continously . Mike

They have one labelled Faucaria longidens growing elsewhere but not like the mystery. here is logidens.

Here is a pretty one I had not noticed before. has a label, if you want to try an ID first.
iann

Post by iann »

OK, time for a little more detail. Orthopterum has few or no teeth and they are not this pronounced. The leaves are also stubby and slightly rough. The main reason for it being separated from Faucaria is the capsules which are normal while Faucaria has modifications that prevent the lids fully closing once they have opened once. That can't be seen in your photo, but the (more than 3 ) well defined teeth and white cartliaginous edges say its a Faucaria

F. longidens is just considered to be a toothy version of F. felina. I suppose tose plants could be it, but I wouldn't know for sure.

The little clump looks like a Stomatium if its as small as it appears. I would hate to have to pick a species name, especially one with yellow flowers.
--ian
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks,

the last was labelled Stomatium dutheae.

Mike